Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Entebbe: First Impressions

Currently sipping an iced latte next to a banana tree at Anna's Corner in Entebbe, Uganda. Leah and I found this place on our walk to the city centre this morning, and made a note to return later. It's somewhat hard to believe this is my first day here. Seen and done so much.

Everything I've seen today has been new. The little girls wear flowergirl-like dresses outside to play, and all the children I've seen thus far are so happy. This afternoon, Leah and I were walking and a little girl said hello to us. She was the friendliest thing I've ever seen: "My name is Peace and I'm going to Florida in June. What's your name? Can I have your email and you can meet me in Florida?" We both gave her our email (couldn't say no!), and I gave her a granola bar and some fruit snacks; you'd think I handed her a winning lotto ticket! She gave me a big smile and said, "I love you so much!" Some other children approached us (Alice, Beatrice, Patience, and another Peace) and they seemed so tickled by us. When we left they gave us another hug, just smiling these huge grins.

Tomorrow we begin volunteering at Acacia Tree, a baby home here in Entebbe for children three years and under. It's apparently only a short walk from our hostel, which is by far, the nicest hostel I've ever seen! We have our own porch, bathroom, and little dining room table. I feel spoiled, which I certainly hadn't expected to feel in Africa.

Leah on our porch

The market was crowded and smelled of dirt, warm raw meat, and sweat. We purchased a pineapple for dinner tonight and I found a sundress for 20,000 shillings (ten bucks!). I feel so wealthy here. Afterwards, I dared my first boda-boda ride! It's a tiny motorcyle you hop on, and it's the most common form of transport here. They are also the most common form of fatal accidents here, so your prayers are yet needed!

I have a feeling I won't want to go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment