Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Malaria, swimming in the Nile, and falling in love with Uganda

After forty-eight hours of layovers and flights, I returned to Minnesota a week ago.  It's good to be home, despite the heaps of snow and cold (I became too acclimated to the heat!), but I find myself missing bits and pieces of Uganda every day. 

The last two weeks in Entebbe and elsewhere turned out to be busy and really eye-opening as Leah and I prepared to leave Uganda's beautiful scenery and people. There is simply too much to cover, so maybe I'll just tell share a few 'highlights.'

Malaria
The Wednesday before we were to leave, I began feeling extremely tired. The babies had just been put down for their nap, and I wanted to crawl in with them. Leah was sweet enough to leave Acacia Tree early with me, so I could try to sleep. I woke up feeling better, but still exhausted. By that evening, I felt much worse and despite the heat, couldn't stop shivering. A Ugandan worker at the hostel told Leah my symptoms were compatible with Malaria, so at nearly midnight we called a boda and made our way to a clinic. Once there, we learned there wasn't a single doctor or nurse on duty. Fortunately for me, prescriptions aren't needed to get medication, so after explaining my symptoms to the pharmacist, I received a drug called Lumarten. I was to take eight pills a day for the next three days, and was told I should be feeling better within a couple of days.

After a fitful night of sleep, I was feeling terrible. My head and stomach ached, I was freezing despite a heavy sweatshirt and blanket, and couldn't keep the drugs down. Leah and I were supposed to travel to the Nile that day, but postponed our plans. At least for a few hours.  By late morning, I was no longer feeling cold and not wanting to give up the opportunity to experience the Nile, Leah and I set off for Hairy Lemon's, an island retreat near the village of Nazigo, Uganda.

Hairy Lemon's Island
The hot and bumpy five hour coaster ride from Entebbe to Nazigo proved to be well worth it as we reached the banks of the Nile. Despite feeling nauseous throughout the entire ride, the distractions of the drive helped keep me occupied. Once we reached Nazigo, we found a boda and began a stunning twenty minute ride down dusty red roads, passing children waving at us with bright smiles, scattered rows of banana trees, and huts colored with women out washing laundry.  When we reached the banks of the river, Leah rang a gong hanging from a tree, and within a few minutes, a bright yellow canoe appeared to row us to the island. I wanted to pinch myself.

After five hours in the coaster we made it to Hairy Lemons!

The island and Hairy Lemons was more picturesque than I expected. Located on a quiet spot on the Nile, the island was initially bought by an Australian couple who met at bar in Ireland called "Hairy Lemons." After building bungalows and making the island habitable, the couple lost their passion for the island a few years later. Only eight months ago the island had been repurchased by an interesting South African man whom Leah and I had the pleasure of getting to know.

En route to the island via canoe

 Swimming in the Nile
We fell in love with the island and the Nile on the spot. The water was clean and clear with a sandy bottom. Risking bilharzia (a waterborne parasite), Leah and I even decided to go swimming. The water was refreshing, and if we tired of swimming, we'd float on our backs and the let the current push us along. The next day, with the help of a British man who knew how to kill snakes (we were told vipers and mambas populate the island), we ventured to the 'Jacuzzi,'  a naturally made pool created by a small water fall. The whole experience was unreal. That afternoon the owner of the island, Paul, canoed Leah and I across the Nile to watch the world champions of kayaking practice on the "Nile Special," one of the world's best waves.

                                                   The Nile in the mist of early morning
Our boys
In our last two weeks, the boys at Acacia Tree really seemed to thrive. Jonathan, the HIV positive, autistic four year old, showed strong signs of attachment; a developmental milestone. He fussed when I set him down, and even tried walking to me more than once! It was really rewarding to finally experience his personality. Because of his autism, Jonathan would often retreat into his own little world, so it was especially exciting to watch him engage with the present.

Fifteen month old Henry, formally named Isaac, also made progress. He loved to practice his walking, and by the time he's adopted in just a couple of months, I have no doubt that he'll be walking himself into all sorts of trouble. Two month old John Mark continued to gain weight during our time there, and really acted like a happy baby. He took an especial liking to Leah--probably because she held him nonstop!;)

Moses stole my heart. Kissing him goodbye in his baby blue footie pajamas on our last night in Entebbe felt abrupt; I wasn't ready to leave him. Of course, he was a very easy baby to fall in love with between his darling habit of waving and his new habit of peeking down my shirt, and then looking up with a sly grin. Thankfully, he was left in very good hands and I know he'll continue to be well loved.
With baby Moses

Divine Orphanage
I'll be preparing to send over toys and books for the children at the Divine Orphanage. If you'd like to send anything over, I can assure you it will be appreciated and well used. Once again the address is:

Molly Tabaro S.P.
Divine Orphanage Secondary School                                 
PO Box 55
Baita
, Entebbe
Uganda   

Leah and I are also talking with Molly, the director, about setting up sponsorship for the children's school fees. Currently, only six of the fifty-three children are sponsored. If you're interested in sponsoring one of the many orphans, please let me know and I will keep you posted on all updates.

                                           Molly with some of the fifty-three orphans of Divine

I'm confident God has special plans for Uganda, and I feel so blessed to have been a part of them, if only for a short time. I think I'll be back.

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment